Nov 10, 2018
(HUNTINGDON, Pa.) - The No. 7-ranked, 33-3, Thomas More University Saints advanced to the NCAA 'Sweet-16' with a shutout win over No. 24-ranked Christopher Newport. The Saints won by scores of 25-21, 25-13, 25-19.
- The Saints took revenge on the Captains, who knocked them out in the first round of the tournament last season, with the straight set shut-out in the second round.
- First-year Emily Mohs (Cincinnati, Ohio / Seton) led the game with 16 kills, along with two digs and one block.
- Senior Jenna Fessler (Fort Mitchell, Ky. / Beechwood) led the game with 27 assists, along with three kills, seven digs, and one block.
- Junior Jenna Mummert (Batavia, Ohio / Clermont Northeastern) was a close second with 10 kills, along with one service ace and three blocks.
- Sophomore Jessica Ginn (Cincinnati, Ohio / Seton) and junior Madison Krumpelman (Crestview Hills, Ky. / Holy Cross) shared the team high with 10 digs each.
- Krumpelman also recorded five kills and one block, while Ginn put up four assists.
- Junior Hannah Just (Louisville, Ky. / duPont Manual) was close to a three-way tie for the team high in digs, adding nine, along with one assist and one service ace.
- Sophomore Carlee Lambert (Cincinnati, Ohio / McAuley) recorded three kills and three blocks.
- Three Saints shared the team high with three blocks each, Lambert, Mummert, and Julia Popova (Sofia, Bulgaria / Beechwood).
- The Saints finished the game hitting .202 compared to CNU's .076.
- Thomas More had the advantage 38-30 in kills, 33-29 in assists, and 47-37 in digs.
- The Saints take on the winner of the second game of the day today, Juniata vs. Mary Washington, tomorrow at 2:00 p.m.