(ADA, Ohio) – The Thomas More women's volleyball team went 2-0 today (Friday, August 31, 2018) on the first day of the 40th Annual Ohio Northern University Invitational at the ONU Sports Center in Ada, Ohio. The Saints defeated 19th-ranked Ohio Northern, 3-2, and Case Western Reserve University, 3-1.
OHIO NORTHERN MATCH
- The Saints defeated the Polar Bears by the scores of 23-25, 27-25, 20-25, 25-22 and 15-8
- Junior middle hitter Jenna Mummert (Batavia, Ohio/Clermont Northeastern) had a team-leading 29 kills and five service aces.
- First-year outside hitter Emily Mohs (Cincinnati, Ohio/Seton) had 14 kills.
- Junior outside hitter Madison Krumpelman (Crestview Hills, Ky./Holy Cross) had nine kills and 12 digs.
- Senior setter Jenna Fessler (Fort Mitchell, Ky./Beechwood) led the team in assists with 44 and tallied 11 digs.
- Sophomore setter Madison Read (Hebron, Ky./St. Henry) added 23 assists.
- Sophomore defensive specialist Jessica Ginn (Cincinnati, Ohio/Seton) led the team in digs with 24.
- Junior outside hitter Sara Crooker (Williamsburg, Ohio/McNicholas) finished the match with 22 digs.
- First-year middle hitter Julia Popova (Sofia, Bulgaria (Beechwood (Ky.)) led the Saints in blocks with five.\
CASE WESTERN RESERVE MATCH
- Thomas More downed the Spartans 25-21, 25-20, 19-25 and 25-18
- Mummert led the team in kills with 18 and added a team-high four blocks
- Fessler had 38 assists and finished with three service aces.
- Krumpleman registered 13 kills and nine digs.
- Read finished with 18 assists.
- Ginn led the team with 24 digs.
- Crooker tallied nine digs.
- Junior right side hitter Alli Borders (Florence, Ky./Boone County) had 10 kills in the match.
- Thomas More will close out the Ohio Northern Invitational tomorrow (Saturday, September 1) as it will play Bluffton University at 10:30 a.m. and 12th-ranked Carnegie Mellon University at 2:30 a.m.