Posted: Sep 01, 2018
(ROCKY MOUNT, N.C.) – The Thomas More football team opened the 2018 campaign today (Saturday, September 1, 2018) with 35-28 setback to N.C. Wesleyan College at the Rocky Mount Athletic Stadium in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.
- N.C. Wesleyan took a 7-0 lead when Nate Gardner connected on a 14-yard touchdown pass to Ben Dorfman and Caleb Mann added the PAT with 6:57 to play.
- Battling Bishops increased the lead to 14-0 with 3:54 to play when Trey Lancaster caught a 31-yard touchdown pass from Gardner and Mann added the PAT.
- Gardner connected on a 13-yard touchdown pass to Dupre Falls and Mann added the PAT with 10:15 to play to extend N.C. Wesleyan's lead to 21-0.
- Saints cut the lead to 21-7 when first-year wide receiver Nick Hall (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) scored on an eight-yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback Justin Post (Macedonia, Nordonia) and junior kicker Cole Mathias (Reynoldsburg, Ohio/Reynoldsburg) added the PAT with 3:03 to play.
- Senior running back Luke Zajac (Edgewood, Ky./Dixie Heights) scored on an 11-yard run and Mathias added the PAT to cut the lead to 21-14 with 5:15 to play in the quarter.
- Battling Bishops increased the lead to 28-14 with 6:38 to play when Gardner scored on a five-yard run and Mann added the PAT
- The Saints closed the deficit to 28-21 when senior wide receiver Logan Winkler (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) scored on a 30-yard pass from Post and Mathias connected on a the PAT with 5:43 to play.
- Thomas More tied the game at 28-28 with 3:07 to play when senior running back Hjavier Pitts (Cincinnati, Ohio/Mt. Healthy) scored on a 24-yard run and Mathias added the PAT.
- N.C. Wesleyan scored the eventual game-winning touchdown with 46-seconds to play when Gardner connected on a 46-yard touchdown pass to Lancaster and Mann added the PAT for the 35-28 score.
- Post was 18-of-31 passing for 238 yards and two touchdowns and also had four rushes for 14 yards.
- Pitts had 19 carries for 121 yards and a touchdown, while also catching four passes for 56 yards.
- Zajac had six rushes for 62 yards and a touchdown and also had three catches for two yards.
- Winkler pulled in four catches for 76 yards and a touchdown.
- Junior wide receiver Mitchell Hogue (Harrison, Ohio/William Harrison) had four catches for 56 yards.
- Junior linebacker Cody Coffey (Anderson, Ohio/Anderson) had seven tackles (six solo/one assisted), including one tackle for a loss.
- Sophomore defensive back Devon O'Bryon (Oregonia, Ohio/Clinton-Massie) had seven tackles (five solo/two assisted).
- Junior defensive back Thomas Williams (Oregonia, Ohio/Clinton-Massie) had seven tackles (four solo/three assisted).
- The Saints return to action next Saturday (September 8) when they thravel to Hanover, Indiana to play traditional rival Hanover College at 1:30 p.m.