Apr 22, 2019
(DANVILLE, Ky.) – The Thomas More University baseball team fell, 4-1, to Centre College today (Monday, April 22, 2019) at Gary Wright Field in Danville, Kentucky. The Saints fall to 12-17, while the Colonels improve to 24-14.
- Thomas More took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning when first-year second baseman Brett Benzinger (Taylor Mill, Ky./New Richmond) had a run batted-in single scoring first-year third baseman Bailey Martin (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton).
- Centre then scored one in the second, one in the fifth and two in the eighth to post the 4-1 win.
- Sophomore pitcher Jordan Houze (Lawrenceburg, Ind./Lawrenceburg) suffered the loss as he pitched five innings giving up two runs (both earned) on five hits, while striking out four.
- Senior pitcher Jonathan Breeden (Erlanger, Ky./Dixie Heights) pitched a no-hit, scoreless sixth inning.
- First-year pitcher Joey Weller (Liberty, Ind./Union County) pitched two innings, giving up two runs (both earned) on one hit and striking out one.
- Benzinger was one-for-three with a RBI.
- Martin was one-for-three with a run scored.
- The Saints return to the diamond on Wednesday (April 24) when they travel to Wooster, Ohio to play 11th-ranked College of Wooster at 4 p.m. at Art Murray Field.