Posted: Apr 16, 2019
(CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky.) – The Thomas More University baseball team fell, 10-4, to Centre College today (Tuesday, April 16, 2019) at Thomas More Field in Crestview Hills, Kentucky. The Saints fall to 12-16 and the Colonels improve to 22-12.
- Centre took a 3-0 lead in the second inning as it plated three runs.
- Thomas More cut the lead to 3-1 in the bottom of the second inning when junior designated hitter Matt Wellbrock (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) scored on a run batted-in single by senior center fielder Blaise Ostertag (Burlington, Ky./Conner).
- The Colonels scored one in the fifth, one in the seventh and two in the eighth to build a 7-1 lead.
- First-year second baseman Brett Benzinger (Taylor Mill, Ky./New Richmond) hit a home run in the eighth inning to cut the lead to 7-2.
- Centre scored three in the top of the ninth to extend the lead to 10-2.
- Wellbrock hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the ninth to bring home sophomore left fielder Brady Reynolds (White Oak, Ky./LaSalle) for the final score of 10-4.
- Senior right fielder Joshua Boeckmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was three-for-four with a double.
- Benzinger was two-for-five with a home run, a RBI and a run scored.
- Reynolds was two-for-four with a double and one run scored.
- Wellbrock was two-for-four with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Thomas More used four pitchers in the game.
- First-year pitcher Mitch Mierke (Milford, Ohio/Milford) suffered the loss as he pitched four innings giving up four runs (all earned) on seven hits and struck out five.
- Thomas More returns to the diamond on Saturday (April 20) when it travels to Waynesburg, Pennsylvania to play Waynesburg University at doubleheader scheduled for a 12 p.m. first pitch.