(LEXINGTON, Ky.) – The Thomas More University baseball split a doubleheader with in-state rival Transylvania today (Saturday, March 23, 2019), but won the "Battle of the Bluegrass" series this weekend at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. The Saints are now 7-9 on the season and the Pioneers are 7-11.
- Thomas More scored 10 runs in the third, one in the fourth, one in the fifth and one in the sixth, while holding Transylvania to two runs in the fourth, two in the seventh and three in the eighth for the 13-7 victory in the opener.
- Senior designated hitter Sam Hauer (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was four-for-five with four runs batted-in, a double and a run scored.
- Junior catcher Matt Wellbrock (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was three-for-five with a triple, two runs scored and a RBI.
- First-year second baseman Brett Benzinger (Taylor Mill, Ky./New Richmond) was two-for-four with a double, three RBI and two runs scored.
- Senior center fielder Blaise Ostertag (Burlington, Ky./Conner) was two-for-five with a double, a RBI and a run scored.
- Senior shortstop Sean Lawrence (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) was two-for-four with three runs scored.
- First- year pitcher Bailey Martin (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) earned the win as he pitched seven innings giving up four runs (all earned) on eight hits and struck out nine.
- Senior pitcher Jonathan Breeden (Erlanger, Ky./Dixie Heights) pitched the eighth inning and gave up three runs (all unearned) on two hits and struck out two.
- First-year pitcher Justin Bierbaum (Bridgetown, Ohio/LaSalle) pitched a scoreless, no-hit ninth inning and struck out two.
- Transylvania scored three in the first, two in the second and three in the seventh, while holding the Saints to four runs in the sixth and three in the seventh for the 8-7 nightcap win.
- Sophomore left fielder Brady Reynolds (White Oak, Ohio/LaSalle) was three-for-four with two RBI and a run scored.
- Martin was three-for-five with a double, a RBI and a run scored.
- Ostertag finished the game two-for-four with a double and two runs scored.
- Lawrence pitched two innings and gave up five runs (all earned) on six hits and struck out one.
- Sophomore pitcher Ty Grimes (Miamisburg, Ohio/Miamisburg) pitched two scoreless innings and gave up one hit, while he struck out two.
- First-year pitcher Mitch Mierke (Milford, Ohio/Milford) pitched one inning and gave up one hit and struck out one.
- Sophomore pitcher Andrew Schramm (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) suffered the loss as he pitched three innings giving up three earned (all earned) on four hits and struck out one.
- Thomas More returns to action on Tuesday (March 26) when it hosts Hanover College at 4 p.m. at Thomas More Field in Crestview Hills, Kentucky.