(HOOVER, Ala.) – The Thomas More University baseball team fell, 4-1, to Birmingham-Southern College today (Sunday, February 24, 2019) on the final day of the Birmingham-Southern Tournament at the Hoover Met Complex in Hoover, Alabama. The Saints fall to 2-2 and the Panthers improve to 5-4.
- Birmingham-Southern scored one run in the first, one in the second, one in the fifth and one in the seventh and held Thomas More to a run in the second for the 4-1 victory.
- Senior outfielder Blaise Ostertag (Burlington, Ky./Conner) led the team at the plate as he was two-for-three.
- Senior left fielder Joshua Boeckmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was one-for-four with a double and a run scored.
- Senior third baseman Jared Drewes (Cincinnati, Ohio/Oak Hills) was one-for-two with a run batted-in.
- First-year first baseman Brennan Baker (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) was one-for-four.
- Senior pitcher Sean Lawrence (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) suffered the loss as he pitched five innings giving up three runs (two earned) on seven hits.
- Sophomore pitcher Ty Grimes (Miamisburg, Ohio/Miamisburg) pitched one shutout inning and didn't allow a hit.
- First-year pitcher Mitch Mierke (Milford, Ohio/Milford) pitched two shutout innings and allowed one hit, while striking out three.
- The Saints are scheduled to return to action next Saturday (March 2) when they will host Ohio Wesleyan University in a doubleheader starting at 12 p.m.