(HOOVER, Ala.) – The Thomas More University baseball team went 1-1 today (Saturday, February 23, 2019) on the second day of the Birmingham Southern College Tournament at the Hoover Met Complex in Hoover, Alabama. The Saints fell 4-6 to North Park University, but defeated DePauw University 3-0. Thomas More is now 2-1 on the season.
NORTH PARK GAME
- North Park scored one in the fourth, one in the sixth, three in the seventh and one in the eight and held Thomas More to two runs in the eighth and two in the ninth for the 6-4 victory.
- Thomas More was led at the plate by senior left fielder Joshua Boeckmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder), who was two-for-four with a run scored.
- First-year third baseman Bailey Martin (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) was one-for-four with a run batted-in.
- First-year second baseman Brett Benzinger (Taylor Mill, Ky./New Richmond) was one-for-one with a double and two RBI.
- Senior pitcher Jonathan Breeden (Erlanger, Ky./Dixie Heights) suffered the loss on the mound as he pitched six and a two-thirds innings and gave up five runs (four earned) on eight hits and struck out three.
- Thomas More scored two in the third and one in the seventh and held the Tigers scoreless for the 3-0 shutout win.
- Boeckmann was three-for-three at the plate with two RBI.
- Benzinger was two-for-four with a double and a run scored.
- Martin earned his first collegiate win as he pitched five shutout innings and gave up seven hits, while striking out one.
- Sophomore pitcher Ty Grimes (Miamisburg, Ohio/Miamisburg) pitched two scoreless innings and didn't allow a hit, while striking out two.
- Sophomore pitcher Andrew Schramm (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) and junior pitcher Justin Ward (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) each pitched a scoreless inning.
- The Saints close out the Birmingham Southern Tournament tomorrow when they play host Birmingham Southern at 12:30 p.m. Eastern/11:30 a.m. Central at Striplin Field in Birmingham, Alabama.