(WINTER HAVEN, Fla.) - The Thomas More women's softball team found its rhythm today as they defeated Eastern Connecticut State University, 7-2 in the first game of the day for the Saints. In game two, the Saints won the battle against Wash U, winning, 5-4. With the wins, the Saints improved to 3-3 on the season.
EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY
- Eastern Conn. got on the board first in the top of the second inning, but the Saints answered with two runs to take the lead.
- Sydney Turner singled up the middle of the field, scoring Mary Beth Odom and Taylor Peterson, who was pinch running for Morgan Wells, to give the Saints the 2-1 lead.
- After the Warriors tied the game up 2-2, Andrea Gahan homered over the left field fence, scoring Whitney Quillen, to take back the lead, 4-2, in the bottom of the third inning.
- Odom hit a solo home run over the center field fence to extend the lead to three in the bottom of the fourth inning.
- Wells reached first base on an ECSU error, advancing Amanda Lloyd to third and scoring Gahan.
- Lloyd stole home to score the seventh run of the game for the Saints as Wells was caught stealing second in the bottom of the fifth inning.
- First-Year pitcher Olivia Jackson earned her first win of the season, as she faced 22 batters on the mound, allowing only four hits for two runs.
- Hannah Sprague entered the game to replace Jackson on the mound, facing seven batters and allowing only one hit.
- Odom, Gahan, and Turner recorded the Saints' RBI's against the Warriors. Gahan and Turner with two each, and Odom with one.
- Odom and Gahan each homered against ECSU.
- Alix DeDreu and Quillen both connected for a double.
- Gahan, DeDreu, and Odom each recorded two hits in the game, while Quillen and Turner recorded one hit each.
- The Saints had the 8-5 advantage in hits against the Warriors.
- The Saints struck first in the bottom of the first inning, as Gahan hit a sacrifice fly to score Quillen.
- Wells singled down the left field line to score DeDreu to take a 2-0 lead.
- Odom hit another solo home run in the top of the fourth inning to tie the game at 3-3.
- Baylee Hobeika stole home on a passed ball to take a 4-3 lead in the top of the fourth inning
- DeDreu doubled to right center field, scoring Quillen for the game-winning run.
- The Saints and Bears matched each other run for run all the way into the final inning, where the Saints scored the game-winning run.
- DeDreu was on the mound, facing 32 batters, allowing eight hits for four runs and 10 strikeouts.
- DeDreu led the team with three hits in the game.
- Odom recorded two and Quillen, Gahan, and Wells each recorded one.
- The Saints had the 9-8 advantage in hits over the Bears.
- DeDreu, Wells, Gahan, and Odom each recorded an RBI.
- Kenzi Dickerson and Gahan both recorded a sacrifice hit.
- The Saints take on Meredith and Wisc. Lutheran on Thursday for day three of the Spring Games for Thomas More.