(LOUISVILLE, Ky.) – The Thomas More University baseball team took two-of-three from in-state rival Spalding University this weekend (March 16-17, 2019) to take the series, 2-1, at Derby City Field in Louisville, Kentucky. The Saints improve to 5-7 and Spalding falls to 10-6.
- Spalding won the first game of Saturday's doubleheader 10-7 as it scored five runs in the bottom of the ninth inning.
- First-year second baseman Brett Benzinger (Taylor Mill, Ky./New Richmond) was three-for-four with a home run, a double, three runs batted-in and two runs scored.
- Senior shortstop Sean Lawrence (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) was two-for-four with two triples, a RBI and two runs scored.
- First-year third baseman Bailey Martin (Independence, Ky./Simon Kenton) was two-for-five with a triple and a RBI.
- Sophomore pitcher Jordan Houze (Lawrenceburg, Ind./Lawrenceburg) had a no-decision as he pitched five and two-thirds innings and gave up five runs (four earned) on nine hits, while striking out four.
- Sophomore pitcher Andrew Schramm (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) suffered the loss as he pitched three innings and gave up five runs (all unearned) on four hits and struck out four.
- The Saints won the nightcap on Saturday 10-9 as it scored a run in the top of the ninth inning.
- Lawrence was three-for-six with a home run, two doubles, three RBI and three runs scored.
- Senior right fielder Joshua Boeckmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was three-for-three at the plate with two doubles, three RBI and two runs scored.
- Senior designated hitter Sam Hauer (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was two-for-five with a double.
- Junior catcher Matt Wellbrock (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) was two-for-three with a home run, two RBI and a run scored.
- Martin was two-for-five with a run scored.
- Junior pitcher Justin Ward (Cincinnati, Ohio/Elder) earned the win as he pitched one and two-third shutout innings and struck out one.
- Thomas More run-ruled Spalding on Sunday as it won 17-7 in seven innings.
- First-year pitcher Mitch Mierke (Milford, Ohio/Milford) earned the win on the mound as he pitched four innings and gave up three runs (all earned) on five hits and struck out three.
- First-year pitcher Nick Muench (Florence, Ky./Boone County) pitched three innings of relief and gave up four runs (all earned) on five hits.
- Lawrence was three-for-five with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Boeckmann was three-for-four with a home run, a double, five RBI and three runs scored.
- Hauer was two-for-five with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Senior center fielder Blaise Ostertag (Burlington, Ky./Conner) was two-for-five with a double, two RBI and a run scored.
- Senior third baseman Jared Drewes (Cincinnati, Ohio/Oak Hills) was two-for-three with two runs scored.
- Thomas More returns to action on Tuesday (March 19) when it is scheduled to host Franklin College at 4 p.m.